What We Look For In A Free Campsite
There are certain must haves and nice to haves when were scouting out campsites.
Slumgullion Earth And Sky Center
The next best camping spot that you can find near Ouray is Slumgullion Earth and Sky Discovery Center. This place has some great camping spots in its area. This aspen and tidy tent campground is ensured as a result of its extraordinary geologic and ecologic highlights.
You will find some great sites 2 miles south of Lake City. To arrive at this spot, switch south off of Highway 149 at the Woodlake RV Parkside road however, dont enter the Woodlake RV Park.
All things considered, veer left on the 2-track street past the impasse sign before you enter the RV Park. The objective is straight ahead. This campsite fills in as the headquarters for the Lake Fork Valley Conservancy LFVC) to run programs both on location and off-site. Program subjects incorporate stargazing, geography, environment, and more stuff in case you are into that kind of interest.
Riverbend Rv Park And Cabins
If youre looking for a quiet campground with fishing right in the camp, youve found it. Three ponds on the grounds, with the Uncompahgre River flowing through the park and Chipeta Lake on the south side of the property, provide all the aquatic fun you can desire. The park is spread out with many drive-thru sites for large and small RVs alike. The location just 3 miles south of Montrose is a perfect combination of convenience and isolation.
- Closest town: Montrose
- Specs: 59 RV sites, 12 tent sites, water, restroom, open year-round
- Amenities: Laundry, showers, activity park, bike path, ponds, full hookups, boat ramp
- Reservations: Yes, at campspot.com
- Address: 65120 Old Chipeta Trail, Montrose, CO 81403
- Directions: From Montrose take East Main Street south .7 miles. Turn left onto Chipeta Road, go 2.6 miles. Turn left onto Dobbler Drive go 289 feet to the campground.
Also Check: Anastasia State Park Rv Camping
Our Experience Camping Near Montrose
From the BLM office, we followed Main Street through town as it transitioned to the 90. It then zigzagged through the countryside past farms, cows, horses, sheep and even llamas! After about 20 miles, we reached the BLM sign. Here the road transitions to dirt as it climbs steeply and rounds some curves before mellowing out again. On this section, we passed an Extreme Rock Crawling area. Sounds like a lot of fun with the right toys!
Once the road reaches the top of the plateau, there are already numerous dispersed camp spots to choose from. These first few spots see the most traffic and were almost always occupied. It seems that they would have a nice view of the town in the valley below. Cell service is probably pretty strong there as well. We decided to continue on and check out our other options.
The conditions of the dirt road were surprisingly well maintained. After being there awhile, we noticed that there was a decent amount of through traffic including constant hauling of lumber trucks. Which is probably why the roads are given so much attention.
After a couple miles, we found a nice turn off with nice views of the mountain tops across the way. And we had good cell signal. So we set up and called this spot home for a few nights. During the next few days, we spent a lot of time getting everything set up for replacing our roof ordering supplies, figuring out where to have stuff shipped and getting tools/supplies in town.
Free Camping Rules & Reminders
Since weve been doing so much free camping, weve unfortunately seen the aftermath of people who dont respect the land and follow common courtesy. The biggest rule of free camping should be a no-brainer, but sadly that isnt the case.
You May Like: Grand Mesa National Forest Camping
Tips For A Successful Trip
Camping excursions in the Montrose region are often remote and wild, so there are a few things to consider to make your trip incident-free:
- Nighttime temperatures can drop significantly, even in the middle of summer be prepared with plenty of warm clothes.
- Daytime temperatures can soar, so be equally prepared with clothes that will help keep you cool, and remember to bring sun protection and plenty of water.
- Dispersed and wilderness campsites offer no amenities and often no restroom facilities.
- Do your research to determine essentials you may need.
- Always remember: pack it in, pack it out!
- Follow the rules, regulations, stay limits, and obtain passes or permits where required.
- Remember that access roads in some remote areas can be impassable and flash floods are possible during periods of heavy precipitation.
City of Montrose Office of Business and Tourism
- 107 South Cascade Avenue
Orvis Hot Springs Campground
If you enjoy clothing-optional resorts, Orvis Hot Springs is worth a visit. Camp, bring your RV, or stay in one of their gorgeous lodge rooms. Regardless of which type of hospitality you choose, you will have free access to the hot springs during your stay.
- Closest Town: Ridgway
- Specs: Clothing-optional hot springs resort and campground for tent and RV camping
- Amenities: Full access to hot springs, tent platforms for tent campers, gorgeous lodge rooms, amazing mountain views, very close to Ridgway and not far from Ouray
- Reservations: Yes, call 626-5324
- Address: 1585 County Rd #3, Ridgway, CO 81432
- Directions: From Ridgway, use Hwy 550 to travel south for about two miles. Turn right onto Co Rd 3, then the hot springs will be on your right.
You May Like: Rv Camping Near Kennedy Space Center
Blm Land Near Black Canyon Of The Gunnison
Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park. The following areas of Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park have been reopened: South Rim Drive North Rim – Day Use Only Boat-In dispersed camping at least 1/2 mile from developed areas and roads There are two campgrounds and a yurt area. The Kayenta Campground is a small and remote, but very popular, campground rests in a beautiful red rock desert environment. The Wingate Campground will be added to the reservation system very soon as has 20 RV campsites with tent pads, 11 tent only campsites, and 4 new yurts Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in western Colorado is not particularly well-known, but the spectacular cliffs of this deep gorge are not to be missed. Zosia Zgolak and I arrived at the north rim of the park on the evening of 4 July 2019, but we only had enough daylight to visit some car-accessible viewpoints Of all the states, areas, dispersed camping places, and roads in given camping places, we both chose the same one, at the same time. We caught up a bit and made plans to go for a hike with the dogs the following day. I was contemplating leaving this camping area, but I decided to stick around since Michael was there
Ridgway State Park Campgrounds
Ridgway State Park is located conveniently in between Ridgway and Ouray on the Million Dollar Highway. Featuring three total campground with generous amenities including RV hookups, this state park is one you wont want to miss on your next trip down Hwy 550.
Dakota Terraces Campground
Dakota Terraces is the smallest of the three campgrounds, but it is also the only site to allow RVs all year long. With nearby access to the boat ramp for fishing and other water recreation, just about every site at this campground is a scenic one.
- Closest Town: Ridgway
- Specs: 79 total sites for tents and RVs, all RV sites have electric and water hookups
- Amenities: Bathrooms, showers and laundry at Camper Services building, playground, nearby hiking and biking trails, access to boat ramp for water recreation
- Reservations: Yes, at CPWShop.com
- Address: Elk Ridge Campground Rd, Ridgway, CO 81432
- Directions: From Ridgway, use Hwy 550 to travel north for about five miles. Turn left to enter the park, then make a right onto Dakota Terraces Campground Rd. Turn right onto Loop B and the campground will be on your right.
Elk Ridge Campground
Elk Ridge Campground is generously-sized, with plenty of RV hookups to spare. Those who want to stay right by the water will love the proximity of this campground to the nearby lake.
You May Like: Camping On The Colorado River In Texas
Black Canyon Nat Park
Legend. BLM land just outside of Black Canyon on the Gunnison South Rim. It’s 1.7 miles south on CO-347 from the national park entrance, past 2 cattle guards. Turn right onto a dirt road just past the second cattle guard . No amenities, but lots of good flat spots for tents Deep, Steep and Narrow. Big enough to be overwhelming, still intimate enough to feel the pulse of time, Black Canyon of the Gunnison exposes you to some of the steepest cliffs, oldest rock, and craggiest spires in North America. With two million years to work, the Gunnison River, along with the forces of weathering, has sculpted this vertical. Most car-accessed camping in Crested Butte and Gunnison is in designated dispersed sites, meaning that camping is only allowed in sites marked by signs. While camping in the Gunnison Valley, please take good care of our precious public lands so everyone can continue to enjoy them in the future List of campgrounds by Delta and Montrose, CO, in order of proximity:. Camping near Montrose South Rim Campground of Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Montrose, CO. Photo by: Jasperdo If you’re looking to get as close to the South Rim as possible, the town of Montrose is the gateway. There are RV parks located right in this fairly large community of 20,000 people
Close To Black Canyon National Park Ouray Silverton Telluride The San Juan Mountains And Several Golf Courses
Make Montrose/Black Canyon KOA your base as you plan your trip to western Colorado. Take a day trip to the Black Canyon area, Crested Butte, Durango, Ouray, Silverton or Telluride, and then return to the comfort of this quiet campground just a few blocks from downtown Montrose.Plan your adventure in the San Juan Mountains. You can shop along Main Street in Montrose, dine in one of our fine restaurants, take a hike in one of our mountain ranges, fly fish in our local rivers, play a round of golf or relax right here at the campground.Try one of our pull-thru big rig sites, camping cabins, deluxe cabins or tent sites. Montrose KOA features WIFI and a general store. Traveling with pets? Let your four-legged friends unwind in our Kamp K9 dog park.Whether sightseeing, shopping, fishing, dining or golfing we have everything you need for an adventure. Be sure to plan an extra day so you will have plenty of time to see the area. Sites book up fast-reserve today for best selection! Laundry available Pool Maximum Pull Thru 75 Feet Your hosts: Bill, Connie, Chelsie and Staff
Recommended Reading: Best Camping Spots In Asheville Nc
Basecamp Glamp At Ridgway In Forest
Basecamp permits you to partake in the smartest possible solution to find the best campsites near Ouray and all that the Ridgway and southwest Colorado area bring to the table. At Basecamp, you get everything you want to play.
It is near a forested snow-capped setting, which means it will be dry and a bit cold to camp here. It is located in a private glamping site with 8 sections of land of forested exemplary snow-capped mountain land.
You may find deer and elk in this region that may lift up your mood and bring joy in case you love wildlife around you. There are a number of facilities for RV campers here like you can get a K-Z Sportsmen Classic 181BH camper for camping here. It will provide A/C and a heating system along with electric, water, and WiFi system, a huge refrigerator, and cooler, along with a shower and latrine. You will also get a 14 power overhang with Bluetooth speakers and an outside mat.
For entertainment, you get a 19 LCD TV with Roku Streaming . There is a kitchen for you with a cookroom for making your Basecamp meal. You also get new clothes hanging tight for you and a Keurig Single-mug coffee maker and espresso cases.
Are you tired of Googling and researching information regarding RVs?
There is an outside eating table and camp seats with a cooking table. You will also get a compact fire ring, headlamps, and spotlights, along with many other features to list here.
Montrose San Juan Rv Resort
Akin to an oasis in the desert, this massive RV park has everything you need for an overnight or long term stay. With 140 RV berths, some pull-through, some back-in, this park has accommodations for just about any recreational vehicle. Packed with amenities, a great location, shade trees, and close proximity to Montrose and the exciting activities available near the area, this is the perfect launch pad for your outdoor adventures.
- Closest town: Montrose
- Specs: 140 RV sites, 10 tent sites, water, restroom, open year-round
- Amenities: Seasonal swimming pool, fitness center, pedal carts, hayrides, Wifi, propane, camp store, playground, dog park, events center, game room
- Reservations: Yes, at montrose-sanjuanrvresort.com
- Address: 22045 U.S. Highway 550, Montrose, CO 81403
- Directions: From Montrose take U.S. Highway 550 South 9.1 miles to the campground.
Read Also: Ready To Eat Meals For Camping
See Reviews & Compare Prices
Black Canyon BLM- SH -347 Montrose, CO 81401. This probably Diegs and I’s FAVORITE camping spots thus far in Colorado. Located just 2 miles outside of the park. It’s got cell service, designated spots , gorgeous mountain views, and is perfect for starry nights. North Rim Dispersed Camping – C77 Rd. Crawford, CO 81415 Best Camping in Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park on Tripadvisor: Find traveler reviews, candid photos, and prices for camping in Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park, Colorado, United States
Camping Near Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park
You May Like: Anza Borrego Desert State Park Camping
Camping Near Montrose Colorado
Montrose, Colorado, located between Crested Butte and Telluride in the southwest part of the state, provides easy access to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Curecanti National Recreation Area and Blue Mesa Reservoir. Fly-fish, hike or take a scenic drive to admire golden aspen or abundant wildflowers. Montrose’s moderate summer temperatures make it a popular camping destination.
State Rv Camping Information
- State Parks offer a wide variety of campgrounds. Colorado RV camping locations from the mountains to the plains with almost unlimited recreation opportunities are located throughout the state. Full-service RV camping sites are available in most state parks.
- Division of Wildlife There are 240 state wildlife management areas in Colorado, and most of them allow camping. A Colorado Wildlife Habitat Stamp is not required for camping and visiting Colorado Wildlife Management Areas and State Trust Lands but is required to hunt and fish in most circumstances. As of July 1, 2020, a Colorado state wildlife area pass, a valid Colorado hunting license, or a valid Colorado fishing license is required.
- State Tourism Website Where to go and what to do. Includes Colorado RV camping suggestions and trip planning ideas.
Recommended Reading: How To Percolate Coffee Camping