Hanging Rock State Park
Rock outcrops at elevations up to 2,580 feet, five waterfalls, mountain lake, access to scenic river. Part of the Mountains-to-Sea State Trail.
50,000-acre reservoir with 800 miles of shoreline spanning North Carolina/Virginia state line.
- Each of the seven areas has at least two marked accessible parking spaces.
- The Satterwhite Point Amphitheater Trail is paved and meets ADA requirements.
- The visitor center entrance has a ramp.
- Each area has at least one accessible restroom.
- Satterwhite Point has a Rolleeze all-terrain wheelchair available upon request to provide access to the defined swim area.
- Each area has at least one accessible campsite.
- Exhibits at the park office/visitor center were designed to comply with ADA requirements.
- Five Easy Listener assistive listening devices are available.
Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area
Over three miles of trail circle around the highest point in Orange County, providing beautiful views of the mountain and the Eno River.
- No marked accessible parking spaces.
- Entrance is level.
- Some family and drive-to campsites are accessible, but the washhouse is not.
- The primitive group campsite and two picnic shelters are accessible.
- Boardwalks are accessible.
- The ADA-compliant, quarter-mile Lakeshore Trail boardwalk has wooden guards on both sides multi-use platforms for fishing, swimming or accessing kayaks/canoes from and two swim ladders to access the water.
Crowders Mountain State Park
|Location of Crowders Mountain State Park in North Carolina|
|Location||Gaston, North Carolina, United States|
|Crowders Mountain State Park|
Crowders Mountain State Park is a 5,217-acre North Carolina state park in Gaston County, North Carolina in the United States. It is near Kings Mountain, North Carolina and on the outskirts of Gastonia, North Carolina, it includes the peaks of Crowder’s Mountain and The Pinnacle. Crowders Mountain was named for Crowders Creek which originated near its base. Contrary to some historical information, Crowders Mountain was not named for Ulrick Crowder . There is no historical evidence that he was ever in the immediate area. The cliffs are a popular destination for rock climbers.
Also Check: Camping Near New Paltz Ny
Fort Macon State Park
Restored historic fort that played a key role in Civil War, barrier island beach. Fort tours, Civil War reenactments or enjoy the beautiful beach.
- 18 marked accessible parking spaces at the bathhouse.
- Paved pathways at least 4 feet wide lead to the visitor center and the fort.
- The Visitor Center and Bathhouse have accessible restrooms.
- One primitive campsite is accessible with an accessible picnic bench.
- The picnic shelters, auditorium and classroom are accessible.
William B Umstead State Park
More than 5,000 acres of hardwood forest in urban Triangle region including creeks, lakes and extensive trail network with scenic overlooks.
- 19 total marked accessible parking spaces in four different areas.
- The visitor center has a ramp.
- Restrooms in the visitor center and the picnic area and bathrooms near the Reedy Creek picnic shelters are accessible.
- The lower parking lot serving the boat house and picnic shelters leads to a one-fourth mile paved loop around the picnic area.
- The Crabtree sections parking lot leads to an 8-foot wide paved trail to the Big Lake Dam and boat house.
- The Reedy Creek section has one accessible picnic shelter.
- A script of the visitor center videos is available at the front desk.
- Two interactive video monitors contain no audio.
- The exhibit area has new L.E.D. lighting and some large-print signs with good contrast.
- Two interactive video monitors contain no audio visitors with vision loss may need assistance using these.
- Restroom signs have Braille.
Recommended Reading: Camping World Parts And Service
Fort Fisher State Recreation Area
Barrier island between Cape Fear River and Atlantic Ocean is home to rare and endangered coastal birds and sea turtles.
- Seven marked accessible parking spaces.
- A long, winding boardwalk ramp with areas of rest leads up to the park office and to the beach.
- Two accessible restrooms.
- The park has two Landeez all-terrain wheelchairs available for beach access.
Stone Mountain State Park
Rock dome rising 600 feet above the valley floor, waterfalls, mid-19th century homestead, Blue Ridge mountain views. Part of the Mountains-to-Sea State Trail.
- 16 marked accessible parking spaces.
- All buildings are wheelchair-accessible.
- Seven accessible restrooms.
- The Family Campground has two accessible campsites with full hookups and 16 accessible campsites with no hookups.
- All three picnic shelters are accessible.
- Not all trails are accessible.
- The park has two wheelchair-accessible fishing piers.
Also Check: Tent Camping Cooks Forest Pa
Camping At Crowders Mountain State Park
There are some state park RV campgrounds in Crowders Mountain State Park however, it is only backcountry camping with a mile hike to reach the sites. For those that are motorhome camping, there are plenty of other options in the surrounding area. Camp in the neighboring state park of Kings Mountain, which has camping facilities. Each site is made up of packed gravel and includes electric and water hook-ups. Several of the campsites can accommodate RVs up to 40 feet, making it a good option if you have a larger RV rental.
Another close option is Hound’s Campground, which has 43 campsites available. All sites include water, sewer, and 30/50 amp service. There are modern restrooms and clean and well-stocked bathhouses, as well as on-site laundry facilities. There is a huge range of activities to help you entertained during your stays such as corn hole, horseshoes, paddle boats, a video arcade, and lots more.
Grandfather Mountain State Park
12 miles of rugged, scenic trails with magnificent views from rock outcrops and forested coves highest peak at 5,946 feet. Home to over 70 rare/endangered species and 16 distinct natural communities. Adjacent to the private Grandfather Mountain attraction.
- Two marked accessible parking spaces at the office.
- The office entrance has a ramp.
- The office has one restroom with a stall that is 5 feet by 5 feet with grab bars.
Recommended Reading: Free Camping Near Nashville Tennessee
Accessibility At State Parks
Diverse coastal ecological communities support rare plants, including Venus flytrap.
- Accessible fishing pier and boardwalk.
- Accessible bathhouse.
- Accessible campsites have an accessible picnic table, a raised grill, and a paved path to the bathhouse.
- Features an accessible trail funded by UNC-Wilmington.
Activities In The Park
Tips for Snagging a Campsite Reservation
When to Go
Crowders Mountain State Park is open year-round and a great place to visit any time of year. Peak season is summer, when temperatures hover around the high 80s to low 90s, but crowding can be an issueon weekends, parking is often full by morning. Spring means avoiding the biggest crowds and enjoying the blooming wildflowers that line the trails.
Know Before You Go
You May Like: Camping On The Colorado River In Texas
Chimney Rock State Park
Spectacular vistas of Hickory Nut Gorge. Historic tourist destination, 26-story elevator, 404-foot waterfall, over 6,000 acres, rock climbing and bouldering. Admission.
- Four marked accessible parking spaces in upper parking lot.
- The Meadows restroom is paved with one marked accessible parking space.
- The gift shop and deli are wheelchair-accessible.
- One accessible restroom in upper parking area.
- A wheelchair-accessible elevator inside the mountain takes visitors near the top of the Chimney.
Cliffs Of The Neuse State Park
Multicolored cliffs up to 98 feet tower over historic river. Part of the Mountains-to-Sea Paddle Trail. Swim lake open during summer
- Nine marked accessible parking spaces.
- The visitors center, picnic bathroom and lake area all have a ramp. All other buildings have steps.
- Two accessible restrooms are open year-round at the picnic areas and the visitor center.
- The bathhouse is wheelchair-accessible as are two campsites with stand-up grills and wheelchair-accessible picnic tables.
Two of the highest peaks in Kings Mountain Range, 20-mile views, streams and lake environments.
- Three marked accessible parking spaces. The lake has hard-packed gravel accessible parking space.
- The Visitor Center has a ramp.
- The parking areas and many pathways are accessible to visitors with mobility disabilities, but some trails have hard-packed gravel or hardened earth with slopes and without areas of rest.
- The park has an accessible family and group campground, each with a wheelchair-accessible picnic table, grill and paved pathway to vault toilets.
- The visitor center has a touch screen that provides park information and some signs with large print.
Also Check: Southern California Beach Camping Reservations
Hammocks Beach State Park
On mainland and islands park operates a seasonal passenger ferry to ocean beach, maritime forests, salt marshes, tidal creeks. Sea turtle nesting site.
- Three marked accessible parking spaces.
- The entrance to the visitor center has a ramp.
- Two accessible restrooms.
- The ferry to the island is accessible, and the park will provide transportation on the island if requested.
- The auditorium has an assistive listening system.
Carvers Creek State Park
Diverse habitats, 100-acre millpond, picnic areas, historic buildings from the James S. Rockefellers Long Valley Farm, bank fishing, and a lovely boardwalk extending 90 feet into the cypress trees of the millpond.
- Two marked accessible parking spaces.
- The park office has a ramp.
- One accessible restroom.
- The park has an ADA-friendly picnic area next to the park office, and park staff will open a gate to allow very close vehicle access as requested.
- On Tuesdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., the park provides a shuttle program for visitors with disabilities, senior citizens and anyone who cannot make the half-mile hike to the Rockefeller house area and the observation and fishing deck.
- The observation deck has ADA access features.
Recommended Reading: Camping Close To My Location
Falls Lake State Recreation Area
Expansive reservoir and woodlands, habitat for diversity of animals, including American bald eagles. Part of the Mountains-to-Sea State Trail.
- All parking lots have marked accessible parking spaces.
- The park office/visitor center has a ramp at the buildings rear.
- The Community Buildings entrance is accessible to visitors with mobility disabilities.
- Each restroom has an accessible toilet stall.
- An accessible fishing pier is located at Beaverdam and Rollingview.
- Accessible picnic shelters are available at Beaverdam, Rolling View and Sandling Beach.
- Accessible swimming is available at Beaverdam, Rolling View and Sandling Beach.
- Accessible campsites are available at Holly Point, Rolling View and Shinleaf.
Crowders Mountain State Park Nc Tapestries
Show off your love for Crowders Mountain NC with this retro sunset design. This is great for people who love hiking, camping, and backpacking in North Carolina nature.
Tags:crowders-mountain-north-carolina, hiking, crowders-mountain-state-park, crowders-mountain, outdoors
CROWDERS MOUNTAIN. NORTH CAROLINA Vintage Mountains
Tags:north-carolina, bouldering, gift, mountains, climbing
Show off your love for Grandfather Mountain NC with this retro sunset design. This is great for people who love hiking, camping, and backpacking in North Carolina nature.
Tags:nc-life, nature, north-carolina-state-parks, grandfather-mountain-state-park, nc
Show off your love for Medoc Mountain NC with this retro sunset design. This is great for people who love hiking, camping, and backpacking in North Carolina nature.
Tags:hiking, north-carolina-state-parks, camping, nc, outdoors
Show off your love for Stone Mountain NC with this retro sunset design. This is great for people who love hiking, camping, and backpacking in North Carolina nature.
Tags:stone-mountain, nature, stone-mountain-north-carolina, stone-mountain-state-park, north-carolina-state-parks
Tags:hiking, nature, outdoors, pilot-mountain-state-park, camping
Don’t Miss: Camping Spots In South Florida
Mount Mitchell State Park
Highest peak east of the Mississippi at 6,684 feet, views up to 100 miles, North Carolinas first state park. Part of the Mountains-to-Sea State Trail.
- 12 marked accessible parking spaces.
- Paved 280-yard Summit Tower Trail is ADA-accessible.
- The entrance to the park office, restaurant, and gift shop/museum all have a sidewalk to a ramp.
- Three accessible public restroom facilities located at the park office, the summit area and the restaurant.
- A four-passenger All-Terrain Vehicle is available upon request to transport people with mobility disabilities to the Observation Deck. This service is not available during inclement weather.
- A boardwalk ramp and paved accessible path lead to a picnic area near the summit to provide an opportunity for all visitors to experience Mount Mitchells vistas from the picnic shelter.
- The exhibit hall has tactile objects and signs with good contrast.
Pilot Mountain State Park
National Natural Landmark offering scenic vistas of Blue Ridge mountains. Canoe the Yadkin River as it flows for two miles through the park.
- Eight marked accessible parking spaces.
- The visitor center has a ramp.
- Restrooms do not meet full ADA standards for turning a wheelchair.
- The drive to the summit has one accessible overlook, and the summit picnic area has an accessible path.
- One primitive campsite is wheelchair-accessible and can be reserved in advance.
- Two equestrian campsites and the picnic shelter at the Jacob Fork parking area are wheelchair-accessible.
You May Like: First Come First Serve Camping Utah
Dismal Swamp State Park
More than 20 miles of hiking and biking trails on 14,000 acres of the historic Great Dismal Swamp. Wetland habitat and wildlife viewing on half-mile boardwalk. Kayak/canoe/bike rental. Underground Railroad historic designation. Visitor center and museum.
- Three marked accessible parking spaces.
- Accessible half-mile boardwalk.
- The visitor center is accessible.
- Accessible restrooms available.
- With advanced notice, the park can provide special assistance .
- The Visitor Center has objects that visitors can touch.
- Some labels have small print that may be difficult for visitors with low vision to read.